Marvel and DC Comics Turn Me Off

Marvel and DC Comics left us all behind

What is this feeling I get when I look at a Marvel or DC Comic books? Their cinema offerings, The Avengers, Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Dark Knight, Man of Steel, these were all epic movies. Now in my forties I distinctly remember the longing for a really great caped super hero movie when I was a teen in the eighties. Back then the action/hero cinematic wasn't available as compared to how they are made today.

Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, Conan, Krull, filled the gap and some Sci-Fi films were spectacular and thrilling as well as terrible. But Lando Calrissian not withstanding, there simply were not enough capes in movies.

But now, Marvel is part of the entertainment industrial monolith The Walt Disney Company. Disney owning Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Entertainment, Miramax Films, Disney Channel, ESPN, A+E Networks, The Muppets, Lucasfilm of all things, is just too much for my fanboy pallet. It's like a huge monster with a gaping maw consumed Marvel Comics in bite, no longer the comic company of my youth. In the eighties and nineties Marvel felt within my reach, staffed with people like me.

DC Comics / Warner Brothers 
It has been reported much of late DC Comics is rough on creative people. I like creative people. I still dream of being one of those creative people. Not for DC or Marvel but I am an artist and a writer with my own web comic Outcast Zero. So how can I buy books from those companies and still hold my head up high.

List of 10 superhero films that stuck out in my day;
  1. Hero at Large a 1980 hero comedy film starring John Ritter and Anne Archer
  2. 1989 film Batman, directed by Tim Burton
  3. Darkman, a 1990 superhero action film directed and co-written by Sam Raimi,
  4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1990  
  5. The Rocketeer 1991 trailer 
  6. The Crow from 1994
  7. Spawn 1997 
  8. Blade 1998 vampire-superhero-vigilante action film 
     
  9. 1999 Mystery Men  "They're not your average superheroes."
  10. Bryan Singer's X-Men in 2000 was the start of something big!

Comments

Popular Posts